Parental Relocation in a Divorce Case

Obtaining Legal Consent for Relocation After Divorce

When the custodial parent wishes to relocate following a divorce, they are not permitted to do so without either the consent of the other parent or the court. If you wish to move a long distance with your children, enlist the help of The Karenko Law Firm PLLC, as there are specific procedures you must follow in order to pursue relocation.

What are your options?

Once you have decided you wish to relocate beyond the standard restriction or any specifically imposed by your settlement agreement, you must send written notice to the other parent at least 60 days before you move. The other parent is given an opportunity to respond and if the relocation is contested, the case proceeds to mediation and, if still unresolved, to trial.

As with any family law matter, the court will consider the best interests of the children as the primary guiding factor. The involvement of the non-custodial parent in raising the children and in their lives will also be taken into account, along with whether or not child support is paid. The relocating parent must submit a detailed plan for time-sharing that will support the relationship of the children with the other parent.

Relocation disputes can be very hard to settle, as both parents have legitimate wishes to achieve different outcomes. I, Attorney Karenko, have a successful record of assisting parents to achieve the outcome they desire and am dedicated to serving you and the best interests of your children.

Galveston County Divorce Attorney

Office Location:

The Karenko Law Firm PLLC
Galveston County Divorce Attorney
609 Bradford Ave, #207,
Kemah, TX 77565
Directions [+]

Call for a free 20-minute phone consultation


Follow Us On:

The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as legal advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute, an attorney-client relationship.